I am actively part of an international community of Solution Focused therapists. Consequently, I am listed internationally as a Solution Focused counsellor.
- BSc (Hons) Psychology in 2000 at Stellenbosch University.
- BPsych Eqv from UNISA in 2012.
- I regularly attend workshops as part of my continuous professional development.
I believe that EVERY client
- is capable of change.
- has at least part of the solution in themselves.
- has resources, strengths, and skills.
- is the expert on his/her own mental health.
Furthermore, I believe that
- focusing on a preferred future creates hope. Also, it creates positivity and a pulling force to the future. Above all, long-lasting change.
- although no one wishes trauma on themselves, trauma offers the opportunity of growth. In addition, this growth can become a reality with the necessary help. Guidance can come from friends, relatives and professionals, .
I consider myself privileged to be allowed into someone’s inner life.
I am very interested to provide in the immediate mental health needs of people. With on-site crisis intervention and trauma counselling I can do that. This bridges the time gap between the incident taking place and traditional care. For example, counselling or therapy at professionals during office hours.
Another interest is to counsel emergency care workers and doctors and nurses in general. Additionally, creating awareness of burnout in these groups. As well as counselling for burnout.
I am very passionate about serving the community. In 2019 I volunteered on the Transnet Phelophepa train’s Psychology carriage. I counselled members of the Swellendam community. Furthermore, I presented workshops in Swellendam and vicinity. This included workshops at a primary health clinic, a school and a correctional facility.
I’m currently (2020) part of two networks that provide doctors and nurses on the frontline of the Covid-19 pandemic with free counselling: Medical Frontliners Counselling Online and the Healthcare Workers Care Network.
If the Covid-19 pandemic permits, I will take part in an outreach to the Northern Cape in September 2020. This is an initiative of Global First Responder.